Monday, March 2, 2015

Red Truck on 7th Avenue


RED TRUCK ON 7TH AVENUE
Nancy Herman
9" x 12"
oil on canvas board

As you probably have noticed I have not been painting much lately as I have been working on writing and illustrating a book.  That work is on hold for a bit so I began again to think about painting.  As usually happens when there is a hiatus in work this caused me to think seriously about what I was doing.  For years I have been trying to use more paint and work with simpler shapes.  Yet I always end up making rather complicated compositions even though I am working quite small.  Apparently I am stuck with a desire to paint a complicated scene so I decided to use the computer to simplify the composition using several "filters" in photoshop.  Then I mixed my paint into a juicy pile and went to work filling the shapes created.  I am enjoying this method.
This is the first painting I completed.  Unfortunately my scanner is broken so I had to take a photo of the painting which leaves it looking quite flat.  It actually has some texture as I am trying to allow the juicy paint to describe the shapes.  The next painting has more texture.  The third in this series is going to be larger so I will have room for even more texture.  It is rather funny I think that it is so difficult for me to use more paint.  I must coax myself into it.

$250.00






2 comments:

Anne said...

Terrific. This reminds me of the watercolor...a road scene, in different cultures.

I like that it's bigger,that's it is a window to a place( bigger) instead of simply a picture of a place. (5x7). We are in the picture here etc.

so I decided to use the computer to simplify the composition using several "filters" in photoshop. Then I mixed my paint into a juicy pile...

Clever!

It is rather funny I think that it is so difficult for me to use more paint.I must coax myself into it.

Where you raised to think asking for less means one is more?(a better person)

postcardsfromthemainline said...

"Were you raised to think asking for less means one is more?(a better person)"
I think I am naturally not a person who talks a lot. I can only attribute my reticence to use a lot of paint to a certain frugality. Not sure where it comes from.