Monday, February 17, 2014

Taking the Train


GRAFFITI AND OLD FACTORY
Nancy Herman
9" x 12"
oil on canvas board

For the next few days I will be posting paintings done from photos taken from the window of the train from Philadelphia to New York.  For some reason the old factories covered in graffiti, houses by the train tracks, and yards full of old cars fascinate me when I travel by train.  There is something lonely, sad and at the same time reaffirming about what exists by the tracks.  Life goes on in the graffiti and the small often colorful homes.  Things start to blend together as the weather wears away the buildings and even the layers of graffiti become a part of nature's design.  The colorful marks are the flowering of the exuberant youth making themselves known to the world as it goes by in the comfort of the train.

$250.00








3 comments:

Susan said...

Am looking forward to these as I do love the sites form a train.

Anne said...

Lord, here I thought I was the only one who enjoyed the bombed out sites and took photos as the train whips though NJ... great, those places are fascinating and look like art installations slide show

postcardsfromthemainline said...

I'm so pleased to see others have feelings for the train sites!