Wednesday, September 14, 2011

SUN AND SHADOWS IN NEW ORLEANS


SUN AND SHADOWS IN NEW ORLEANS
Nancy Herman
8" x 6"
oil on canvas


Off to New Orleans for a brief excursion via Google maps for the Virtual Paint out, I was drawn to these colorful shadows on Bourbon Street.
  
If this scene seems a bit cheery, considering all the hardship that New Orleans has suffered in the past several years, it isn't that I don't appreciate that sadness.  I have to admit to looking for the sunny side of life if possible when I paint.  I figure if I'm going to spend several hours painting something I might as well experience pleasure in imagining or remembering the scene depicted.  Painting for me is a way to spend a few hours in solitary pursuit of a pleasant memory and trying to bring that experience to others.  The one exception to that in recent years was my painting of the nursery school in Saito Japan .  It was very hard to paint this as the city was completely destroyed in the tsunami.

$125.00






6 comments:

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

Love the soft colors, and shadowy areas. This combined with the geometric and scroll work makes for a lovely painting.

Unknown said...

You always find the essence of your subject, and then
take it, and us, to another level of beauty, Nancy.

Kim C Pelletier said...

Great work and what an interesting find, too! – I think most people would completely overlook this as choice for a subject to paint. I always enjoy looking at your work. Cheers!

sarah meredith said...

Nice painting!! I love the shadows made by the filigreed wrought iron.

Jean-Baptiste Pelardon said...

I just discovered your work: I so appreciate the way you manage the values, the balance between dark and bright, the deep shadows and the 'ringing' lights. Like too the often muted colored zones. Will come back often!

postcardsfromthemainline said...

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments.